- 1½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅔ cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- Nonstick cooking oil spray
- Unsalted butter and pure maple syrup (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toast coconut on a rimmed baking sheet until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, milk, oil, and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients (do not overmix). Mix in ¾ cup coconut; set aside remaining coconut.
- Heat a waffle iron until very hot. Coat with nonstick spray. Working in batches, cook waffles until golden brown. Serve topped with butter, syrup, and reserved coconut.