What you’ll need
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
Let’s do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then prepare a 9″ cake pan. Do not use non-stick spray for this cake. Instead, trace a circle on a piece of parchment paper, cut the circle out and set aside. Rub a little softened butter inside the pan then place the parchment paper circle into the bottom of the pan. Rub once again with butter then dust with flour until completely covered.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, coconut flakes and salt until well blended then set aside. In a separate large bowl, mix together eggs, coconut oil, milk, vanilla and sugar with a wire whisk. Add dry ingredients to the wet ⅓ at a time, completely incorporating the dry ingredients before adding more. Don’t overmix! Your batter will be runny and you may feel like you’ve done something terribly wrong but this loose consistency is normal for an oil cake.
- Once mixed, pour the batter into the pan. Bake 40–50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with only a few crumbs attached or you touch the center of the cake and it bounces back. Allow it to cool on a wire rack 30 minutes then invert to remove the cake. Remove parchment paper from the bottom then carefully turn right side up to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the cake has cooled place it onto a cake plate. Stir together the powdered sugar and milk to form a glaze then spoon or drizzle it over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with ¼–½ cup coconut flakes, allow it to set then slice the cake and serve.